Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Is there a hand to take hold of the scene?"

So, my encounter with the dreaded H1N1 flu has seemingly come to an end. Save for the possibility of a relapse, I am done with it. It turns out, even after the sickness had left, the Tamiflu caused some major dizziness and discomfort, so I stopped taking it. Hopefully this doesn't mean the flu will come back, but it just wasn't worth it to feel dizzy constantly. So that little chapter of my life should be over now. Time to recover, both socially and academically.

Throughout my "quarantine" I did a lot of thinking. A lot of this branched out of my watching an old anime show I used to like as a middle-schooler, called FLCL. I am no fan of anime, in fact most of it gets on my nerves, but this show is just so out of the ordinary and captivating. I guess it would be classified as a comedy, but some of the themes it displays, however subtle, provide true insights into adolescent life; love and confusion being the highlights. Really, it just taught me that sometimes the journey really is more important than the destination. I feel as though, after being gone for a week, that something should have changed. That upon my return to Allen, something should be different, I should be different. I want desperately for this town to be turned upside down, for my life to make a U-turn into the happy, glorious unknown. I want an undeniably positive and mysterious force to come and change the direction these stale winds have been blowing. A storm came over the summer, it gave me goals, now forgotten. It needs to happen again. If it doesn't, these words of perseverance won't mean anything; they'll be just a lie I'm telling to get by. I can't accept the same thing over and over again. It will always lead to the same outcome: boredom and lethargy. We need a fan, a wind machine.

Music: Okkervil River- The Stage Names : Self explanatory.

1 comment: