Monday, February 8, 2010

Ideal American Citizen

Shall I show you around? I know it's been a while. You look tired. Might I offer you a cup of coffee? No? All right. I do hope you stay a while, you know how lonely I get around here. Ever since you and the rest left town, well, I just don't feel the same. All I've really got is silence, a typewriter, and time. I guess those things can work magic for some, but my mind has been rather elusive. So, where have you been? Are you well? Oh, how odd. You sure have lost a bit of your spark, haven't you? These equations of yours unsettle me, friend. I understand how proud you are, but... you were always so abstract. These calculations and pencil marks just hinder you, and you know that.

Oh, Susan? No... she passed away about two years ago. I still keep her around, though. It doesn't help much, but... I'm sure you understand. Are you all right? You look just a bit green. I'll get you a glass of water.

(30 seconds spent in kitchen)

Here you g- Now where might he have run off to? Ah, probably just taking a look upstairs. Bill? George? Eric? He must be here somewhere...

(walks up flight of stairs, stairs lead to nothing, falls off into pile of wood and old furniture)

Ah... I've taken a spill. Where in the world am I? I must have hit my head. I suppose I should just lay here for a bit until I collect myself. I'm sure Frank will come, either way. He must be using the bathroom.

(a dirty, naked man can be seen in the rubble of a half decayed house. he screams incoherent sentences, containing mostly male names and nouns. the man rises to his feet after a few minutes of struggle.)

Oh, forget that fool. He's probably just gone home. I knew he had changed, the bastard... To leave an old friend all alone! The very thought! I... What's that? In the distance... My God. The... the face. The jaws... Help me! Someone! Isn't there a person left in this damn town?

(after rising to his feet, the man had walked only a few paces before falling into a puddle of what looks like mud and urine. he screams for a few minutes, none of it intelligible. in his writhing insanity, a beam from the decrepit house breaks loose from ten feet above, falls, and crushes the man's head.)

No comments:

Post a Comment