Monday, March 8, 2010

Leaving the beach fortress

I

Our final beach fortress
Is collapsing, as you and I
Stand vulnerable on the last
Few feet of dry cement.

You are swept away again
And again, by roaring blue waves.
But, you always end up by my side once more,
Somehow returned on the crest of the next wave.

Tell me, how is it so
That such dark, black hair
Can glow such a beautiful gold
In the deepest reaches of this storm's chest?

I weep my salty, sea water tears.
As this time, you have not returned.
The swelling, angry sea just a few feet
Below me reveals nothing of your whereabouts.


II

The storm cried out in disgust and disappeared.
The waves sank away from me, and back
Down to their appropriate depths. Sand
Is once again visible; but the destruction is apparent.

Whales, horses, humans, fish, and debris
All grace the same heaps. I begin my
Ascent down to the ruined shore.
Finding you will alive would be a miracle...

Sorting through the bodies(some living some not)
Is a sad task. Cries, roars, whinnies of pain and confusion
Ring out across the beaches. But I see it. A small ray of light,
From the sun, to your eye. You sit on the dune, alone.

We leave right away. We leave our
Beach fortress; the beauty of it now absent.
We live in the mountains now, as far from any
Beach as we can be. Love, and love it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment